D E F I B R I L L A T O R
performance art gallery
DEFIBRILLATOR (a.k.a dfbrL8r or dfb) is a non-profit 501c3 arts organization that contextualizes performance within the visual art realm. dfb provides a gathering place to conceive, present and promote performance art and other ephemeral forms of expression.
DEFIBRILLATOR aims to:
- provide opportunities for emerging and established CHICAGO artists to conceive and present performance art
- present international/out-of-town artists to represent a vast range of styles and forms
- build discourse and criticism surrounding performance art
- raise appreciation for performance art among the general public
- cultivate a resourceful and supportive transdisciplinary artistic community
dfb board of directors:
dfb president & executive director RAVENS is a graduate of THE SCHOOL OF THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO with an MFA in performance. he completed his undergraduate degree in theater at the UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN at WHITEWATER. He is a recipient of several grants from the ILLINOIS ART COUNCIL including a FELLOWSHIP FOR INTERDISCIPLINARY PERFORMANCE ART for NEW PERFORMANCE FORMS. he has received numerous travel and exchange awards that have enabled him to build a global reputation and present his work abroad. RAVENS frequently presents workshops around the world that demonstrate his unique approach to creating time based art.
dfb vice president SCHMIDT is a graduate of UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN at MADISON and specializes in real estate. he is currently president and CEO, of TESKORE REAL ESTATE INVESTMENTS and DEVELOPMENTS. previously he worked as NETWORK SYSTEMS ENGINEER and INSTRUCTOR at NEW HOIRIZONS COMPUTER LEARNING CENTER from 1997 to 2002.
DAVID SUNDRY – dfb treasurer/secretary
committed to presenting a vast range of styles and forms of time-based art, DEFIBRILLATOR is dedicated to fostering local talent while invigorating CHICAGO by bringing to the city artists of exceptional calibre from around the world. contextualizing performance within visual art, we embrace those who look to the body, objects, space, and time for inspiration, research, and practice. providing opportunities for established and emerging artists alike, DEFIBRILLATOR provides a platform for underrepresented voices and time-based work that does not sit comfortably within pre-established genres or disciplines. dynamic programming, decidedly fearless and unique, aims to provoke thought and stimulate discourse surrounding performance art. our goal is to foster and contribute to a global dialog surrounding conceptual, ephemeral, or enigmatic forms of expression.
dfbrl8r is registered with:
- the IRS #27-4394455
- the IL CHARITABLE TRUST and SOLICITATION for CHARITY ACTS #01063201
- the IL DEPT of REVENUE SALES TAX EXEMPTION (letter available with transaction)
- the IL CULTURAL DATA PROJECT
- DUNS #067636636 (defibrillator performance art gallery)
DEFIBRILLATOR is supported, in part by grants from:
- GAYLORD and DOROTHY DONNELLEY FOUNDATION 2013 ARTISTIC VITALITY
- THE ILLINOIS ARTS COUNCIL, a STATE AGENCY
- CITY OF CHICAGO’S DEPARTMENT of CULTURAL AFFAIRS & SPECIAL EVENTS 2013 CITYARTS
DEFIBRILLATOR was formed in 2010 to support artists working in performance art and enlighten the general public regarding this enigmatic form of expression. founder, JOSEPH RAVENS, shaped a unique environment tailored to the creation and presentation of time-based art. he rented a storefront to house the organization and began programming exhibitions and discourse designed to foster a community that is knowledgeable and appreciative of performance art. DEFIBRILLATOR actively contributes to a global dialog surrounding conceptual, ephemeral, or enigmatic forms of expression. we boldly confront the boundaries and expectations regarding performance and through positive experiences with this medium, cultivate a sustainable and supportive performance community.
the large storefront display windows are vibrant exhibition spaces. our neighborhood contains a diverse population who have little knowledge of performance or experimental art. window installations are a vital conduit between the gallery and the neighborhood – tweaking interest and imagination.
- programming: professional/touring artists, student exhibitions, installations, trade show/touring, and fundraising events
- discourse: workshops, discussions, blogs, and other forms of outreach
- RAPID PULSE INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE ART FESTIVAL
- subsidized rental space for artists
- student internships with partnering institutions of higher education